Original builders' bush camp c.1906
In 1906 a staff consisting of three male attendants and six patients lived side by side in tents working to clear land for the hospital site. A jetty was constructed to allow delivery of building materials by boat. A dam was also constructed, which was to supply the hospital with water (and did so until well into the 1940's)
Ward 1 during construction
Ward 1 opened on 6th September 1909. In later years after refurbishment this ward was to become known as Ward 10.
Ward 1 c.1920
Ward 1 has been refurbished several times. The semicircular facade was possibly removed during the first refurbishment.
Road clearing c.1920
Patient in hospital grounds c.1920
Male Nurse in uniform c.1909
Attendant Mr Boyd is seated, his brother, who worked on the railway, is standing.
Unknown male nurses c.1924
1940's Aerial photo
Lower part of hospital grounds. The Duck Hole to the right of picture with Piggery Hill Road off to the right. The Avenue road into Morisset is to the left. The Recreation Hall can be seen in the lower right quadrant of the photo.
Right - 1940's
Looking towards the 'nameless bay' on Lake Macquarie. The road at the bottom left of the photo leads off to Piggery Hill. The road at the lower right is The Avenue Road leading in to Morisset township.
Below - 1940's The criminal block before the second ward, later known as 'A' Ward was built. Several staff cottages were located outside the perimeter fence. The criminal block was located a considerable distance from the main areas of the hospital.
Below left - Kangaroos on lawn in front of Dining Room end of Recreation Hall. Water tanks can be seen to the right of the brick building. Wisteria was the vine growing along the verandah.
Below right - Recreation Hall showing wisteria vine and clock tower that never had the clock installed. Morisset's clock was accidently sent to Kenmore Hospital in Goulburn.
Above - View of southern side of Recreation Hall and colour photo of Recreation Hall verandah with wisteria vine in full bloom.
Right - One of two more substantial residences on the Morisset Hospital estate, this building, built in 1910, was the home of either the Medical Superintendent or Manager of the era. This phoro circa 1930's.